MFL Statement of Intent
At Chad Vale we teach a foreign language to all Key Stage 2 children as part of their normal school curriculum on a weekly basis. Our intent in teaching languages, is to foster a love for the subject and highlight the importance of being able to communicate with others around the world. Through the teaching and learning, we aim to ensure that children are capable of ‘thinking like a linguist’ and using tools and skills to learn independently. When children leave Chad Vale for their secondary schools, they will have a strong foothold in the basics of Latin based languages and key skills which will enable them to approach other world languages confidently.
The teaching of Spanish at Chad Vale will address these areas of learning:
* listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
* explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
* engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others; seek clarification and help*
* speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
* develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases*
* present ideas and information orally to a range of audiences*
* read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
* appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language
* broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
*write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, to express ideas clearly * describe people, places, things and actions orally* and in writing
*understand basic grammar appropriate to the language being studied, including (where relevant): feminine, masculine and neuter forms and the conjugation of high-frequency verbs; key features and patterns of the language; how to apply these, for instance, to build sentences; and how these differ from or are similar to English.
(National Curriculum, 2013)
We will be selecting new ambassadors in Autumn 2021. Watch this space!
Check out some of our learning in Spanish...
Spanish Curriculum Overview